I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Berner Report (April 24 - May 1) and the naming poll

Please go to the right hand sidebar, at the top and help decide what the Berner should be called.
The choices are, listed in alphabetical order:
Alfy (spelled incorrectly on the poll, short for Alphonso and the theme song of the movie "Alphie"
Bernie
Billy Bob Berner
Jake, for the song "Feed Jake" It's a great song, if you haven't heard it before, take a minute to listen to it.
Scout

We continue to work on his trust issues, kenneling and leash work (not so much.) He goes in and out of his kennel, with a bribe, when I ask. He naps in it occasionally, but still prefers Stumpy's kennel.

It almost seems, at this point, if I didn't have place to go, he wouldn't be going anywhere, either. He spends, on average, about 18 hours a day, here. Sometimes, even when Stumpy and I are out on the deck, he asks to go back inside!

He and Stumpy have a little jealousy thing going on. Stumpy is showing her possessiveness in a big way.

Mr. B seems to want Stumpy to join him on his walk abouts. They'll be zooming around the yard and the Berner will head off up the street. He was successful in leading Stumpy off the property twice this week. Once when I wasn't paying attention. Fortunately, Stumpy's recall is darn near perfect. No more going back inside for anything, with the dogs on the deck.

Saturday, April 24
He's still spending the night


First, Stumpy tells the Berner it's time for breakfast


And then I call him in

He pretty much ignores me.

After breakfast Stumpy tells the Berner it's time to get up and get moving.


Mr. B decided he didn't need to go anywhere today. He made himself comfortable in the shade of an agave.


He shifts his position, as necessary, to remain in the shade.

and ignores me when I try to convince him to come into the house, out of the heat.

Finally, I lure him in with hot dogs. He seems to immediately realize the benefit of cool, tile floors

He spent the entire day in the house.

Trying out different resting places.


Stumpy watches him trying to squish himself in beside her chair.


By late afternoon the deck is once again in the shade so we hung out there, watching the world go by.


And he spent the night. I woke up in the middle of the night with a crushing weight on my chest! Heart attack? Respiratory failure?

No, it's a Berner dog. Go back to sleep.

Sunday, April 25
The Berner's been with us for over 36 hours straight.

I had said previously that he and Stumpy have their morning fun. But I am not so sure the Berner is having fun.


We worked on "sit"

He really doesn't get it.

And while I wasn't looking he left.
He came back around 1pm, hot and tired. After drinking his fill he searched for a cool place to rest.



Yes, that search included the tub



The Berner enjoyed a nap on the deck when as the sun began to set.


He and Stumpy enjoyed a quiet moment on the deck, after dark


Monday, April 26


Watching the sunrise


Morning bones


Berner under the agave


Tuesday, April 27


I had to leave early today and the Berner had already left. He came back around 3pm, exhausted. He had his dinner and barely moved for the rest of the night.

Both dogs would rather be inside but follow me out to the deck when I go.


Wednesday, April 28


The wind is gusting up to 60mph and at one time blew the umbrella over freaking Mr. B out. He left for awhile and then came back.

Stumpy tries to get him to play, but his idea of playing and hers are slightly different. The Berner doesn't want to move.

Stumpy likes to chase and be chased. She likes full body wrestling, body slams, tackling, high jumps and racing around.

Everyone's in their place


The Berner does use his kennel on occasion, by choice.


Thursday, April 29
It doesn't matter where the berner falls asleep at night, this is where he wakes up in the morning (and usually in this position.)


Berner Boy ran interference while Stumpy tried to play ball with me.


Stumpy and Mr. B played before I left for work.


After work Mr. B discovered another of Stumpy's toys and was totally baffled by it (wait til I fill it with peanut butter, tomorrow!)


The dogs hang out on the deck with me, before bed.


Friday, April 29


The dogs wait for breakfast.


Stumpy is learning to share


I had to leave for awhile in the early evening. When I got back, Mr. B was gone. He didn't come back until after 11pm.

Saturday, May 1


The Berner is/was a semi-feral dog trying to survive in the Mohave Desert. If you're a new visitor to our blog, the Berner's story can be read in the posts listed, in chronlogical order, below.
#1 Who's been sitting in my chair?
#2 Runnin' with the big dawgs
#3 There's a Berner in my living room!
#4 He's everywhere!
#5 He's gone
#6 The Berner: coming and going
#7 Berner News
#8 The Weekly Berner Report (March 28 - April 3)
#9 The Weekly Berner Report (April 3 - April 10)
#10 The Weekly Berner Report (April 10 - April 17);
#11 The Weekly Berner Report (April 17 - April 24)

15 comments:

T said...

He really is a special soul. I am so glad you continue to post all his updates. Wonderful memories to keep.

I voted:-)

Sam said...

He's choosing to come inside on his own? He's voluntarily sleeping in a kennel? What a transformation. I really am enjoying watching him grow!

Regarding the name, I don't think I'll ever be able to refer to him as anything other than "Berner" !

Sandra said...

You have done a wonderful job with him. He was waiting for someone to help him. Now you know why you went to dirtville.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

He just looks so freakin' khomfy!

Of khourse, I'm khwite partial to his ways of showing 'khomfy'

I hear of khwite a few khanines that like the tub/shower stall fur khool and khomfy!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: As we pawed previously, this is SOOOOOO one of our favourite days of the week!

An English Shepherd said...

Great update :-)

Wizz

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

He is doing great. Stumpy seems to enjoy trying to get him to play. Love the sound effects Stumpy. We get that grrr grrr grrr stuff all the time here with the 3 heelers..
We had a beautiful day but no herding. Lori went to herding camp in Kansas this past week...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

T, He is a REALLy special boy I hope I can find him a home that is just as special for him.

Sam, He'll always be the Berner boy to me, too. Although I have been calling him Alfy,some, since I found out he was a boy.

Sandra, from the first time I saw him, I knew he was searching. I hope I can help him to find what he's looking for.

Khyra, The Berner is turning into quite the creature of comfort. He rivals Stumpy in that regard.

Mishka who's owner blogs at This Idiot This Idiot is the only other dog I've seen in a tub. Stumpy would die first. (I hope that link works!)

We're proud to have you as a member of the Berner's fan club.

Wizz, The Berner is an awesome dog, it's gotta be a great post!

Heelers, Gald you had some good weather, sorry you missed the Sheep. I think Stumpy loves the Berner, I have been noticing her kind of sulkiing when he's gone.

Southbaygirl said...

wow he's made such amazing steps!!!!! Yeah!!!!! I'm so glad it's going well! And the ACD play looks so familiar!!!

Woof

Velcro and Penny

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Penny, he is an amazing dog! He deals with ACD play pretty well, that alone makes him pretty amazing!

Life With Dogs said...

I KNEW he was going to stick at some point. :p
My name vote was not the most popular, but I love Scout for the literary reference...and it suits his style!

tula monstah said...

ok stumpy we voted for a new name! are you herding the berner? just furry happy he's apart of your home now.. woot woot!

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

LWD, Scout's a great name and definitely suits!

Tula, Mostly I think Stumpy is abusing the Berner and taking advantage of his sweet and patient nature.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever hear any reports of his travels - does any one mention seeing him on his jaunts?
Is there any chance he is trying to lure Stumpy away and leave her somewhere? He has a pretty cushy lifestyle with you.

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Dogsmom, friends in the neighborhood now keep an eye for him, for me. He used to be seen in about a 5 mile radius, now he seems to stick closer to home.

Funny you should ask that, we had a room mate who's dog seemed to lead Stumpy out into the desert and try to lose her. I don't get that from the Berner.

Sunny,Scooter, (sometimes Jamie) said...

I LOVE the song feed Jake! I had a Berner who lived to be 10(getting into double digits with these guys is rare.) His name was Zack. Just fit him.
We are new to your bloggy. Gotta catch up and all.
Billy Bob Joe...kinda long, just chuckled at it when it popped into my head!
Like Alfie, like Bernie(uh, just don't do a "Weekend at Bernie's" with him lol. Sorry, I am not helping at all.
I looked at him and Mikey popped into my head...
He and Stumpy are very cute together.
Harry(hairy) pops into my head as my Berner did leave hairs everywhere!
How to vote???????
I dunno. Gotta think more. Do you have a fav???
I added our name to the friends dealy, but do you mind if I put your blog on friends list? (I am sooo techno challenged, I usually go down my list. I know. Pathetic.
Now that this comment has turned into a novella, I shall say, nice to meet y'all. And if you could, let me know if it is ok to add y'all to friends list.
Have a good evening to all of you
Jamie(the biped) and Sunny&Scooter The Texas Sundogs