I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Who's been sitting in my chair?


It's not Fenway.

We first saw this dog last week. It was raining, I was headed to the food bank. Poor thing was soaking wet and covered in mud. You could tell he/she was lost. It looked so hopeful when we pulled up.

We get so many dogs dumped out here. That's probably the case everywhere, now. Still, not a day goes by that I don't see one or two strays, or one of the several packs of feral dogs.

I stopped that day and called to the dog, it wanted to trust me, but couldn't bring itself to come close.

Wednesday night it showed up out front, at dusk. Again, I couldn't coax her close. She and Stumpy met. I think Stumpy thought she was Fenway. Her new friend wasn't interested in playing, though.

I called to her and sweet-talked her, but she was even more skittery. No doubt, she is being chased out of peoples yards, at this point.

Yesterday she was resting in the sun in our driveway, when we came home. She and Stumpy bumped noses but she skedaddled when I called to her.

This morning she discovered Stumpy's chair and that is where she was when the sun came up. Stumpy didn't mind sharing, but she wanted to play. Her guest did not.

I'm calling her "she" because I don't see any leg lifting, not that that means anything, really. She looks to be a Bernese Mountain Dog mix. She looks enough like one that she could be a purebred; just stunted, young or badly bred. I'm thinking a border collie/Bernese mix, perhaps. She's losing weight. I haven't left food out because of coyote and the hoarders' dogs, next door. And Stumpy is a pig and can be possessive (only with dogs) if I am not close to remind her she knows better.

Now that the Bernie is coming up on the deck, I will leave food out on the deck when Stumpy comes in.

I have a one dog agreement with my landlord and no extra finances for another dog. Plus, if my dream comes true, I will be living in an RV and traveling, come summer. I am trying to picture two dogs in a small RV, one being a 90ish pound Berner. Yeah, I know people who do it, too.

Enablers, SHUSH!

I'm thinking my jealous little girl is telling me I better be taking pictures of her, not the invader!


I do lover berners, though....hmmmm...


*disclaimer: pictures are lousy because they are taken through a window with a solar screen.


If you're a new visitor to our blog, The Berner (now known as Alphonso Bernard Jacob Scout Billy Bob Berner)was a semi-feral dog trying to survive in the Mohave Desert.

Through the Pawer of the Paw, Alf has a family of his own, He's living, well-loved and happily ever after, in sunny SoCal.

The Berner's story can be read in the posts listed below, in chronological order. If you don't have time, now, Alf's story can be read, at your leisure, by clicking his picture on my side bar.
#1 Who's been sitting in my chair?
#2 Runnin' with the big dawgs
#3 There's a Berner in my living room!
#4 He's everywhere!
#5 He's gone
#6 The Berner: coming and going
#7 Berner News
#8 The Weekly Berner Report (March 28 - April 3)
#9 The Weekly Berner Report (April 3 - April 10)
#10 The Weekly Berner Report (April 10 - April 17);
#11 The Weekly Berner Report (April 17 - April 24)
#12 The Weekly Berner Report (April 24 - May 1)
#13 The Berner (aka Alphonso Bernard Jacob Scout Billy Bob Berner) Report: May 1 - May 8
#14 The Weekly Berner Report: May 8 - May 15
#15 The Weekly Berner Report: May 15 - 22
#16 The Berner Report: May 22 - May 29
#17 The Weekly Berner Report: May 29 - June 5
#18 The Weekly Berner Report: June 5 - 12
#19 The Weekly Berner report: June 14 - 19
#20 The Weekly Berner Report: June 27 - July 3 (Experts weigh in, please)
#21 The Weekly Berner Report (July 3 - July 10)
#22 The Weekly Berner Report, July 17, The Details and Boatlaods of Gratitude
#23 July 20: Vegas, Baby!
#24 The Berner Report: New Beginnings, July 23
#25 The Berner Report: August 7th Update
#26 The Berner Report: September 13, 2010
#27 The Berner Report: November 30, 2011

14 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What a special guest!

Mom khonkhurs on the potential BMD and BC khombo -

Paws khrossed woo khan find someone to place her!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Life With Dogs said...

That would be a damn tough call for me. I'm sensing it's the same for you. Amazing the power they have to change our direction, no? :)

CheekyMare said...

Stumpy is small, she's only half a dog. *enables*

Sandra said...

I can't say anything. I am down to two dogs, but had as many as seven at one time, all unwanted. So I'm not going to be an enabler, I'm not. She sure is a nice looking doggie!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh she is so pretty.. We sure hope she begins to trust you so you can find her a good forever home..
Stumpy sure seems to like her new friend..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

No sign of Ren this morning. No, I didn't really name her. Of course not! I am just calling her Ren, because I like the sound of Ren and Stumpy.

Khyra, you know we will do our best. If we can get her to trust me, or can catch her. Whichever comes first.

LWD, I can fudge it with my landlord to keep her safe until other arrangements could be made. If the other arrangements happened to be traveling in an RV...well, there are worse things.

CM, I knew there was at least one enabler out there I could count on! Don't worry, I won't tell Stumpy that you called her half a dog.

Sandra, in the last 30 years there have only been two dogs who weren't someone elses rejects. This is the first time that I can remember in 20 plus years only having one dog. I'd have two or three if I was financially capable; RV or no RV.

Heelers, We will do our best for her!

tula monstah said...

oh course your mommie's taking pics of you Stumpy! what a gorgeus doggie.. hmm. pulls at your heart strings..doesn't it?!:)it's like how does she/he know! Extra luvies to Stumpy for sharing:) keep us updated.


Happy Valentine's Day,
smoochies,tula

Brenda's Arizona said...

Oh, what a heart you/your posters/we have. Please please keep us posted. Bernese are just wonderful... When my husband isn't looking, I am gauging our doggie door...

Southbaygirl said...

hmmm is "Ren" back? I am an enabler-I'll come right out and say it! And especially if "Ren" gets along with a cattle dog-I know how they can be....please let us know if "she" comes back!!!

Velcro and penny

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

No sign of her yesterday or today :( I am hoping that means someone took her in. I will drive around the neighborhood later and see what I see I do know she likes the company of other dogs.

Brenda, I'll keep you posted in case she needs a ride south. We can plot a scenario where Wade could stand in the back of your pick up and practice his roping tecnique! I'll her B he'll have to keep her for Honey!

Penny,Stumpy loves other dogs, but a permanent companion dog for her would have to be willing to play.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Yepper Mom thinks if she threw a few peanut shells on the floor no one would notice the dirt..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

The Berner was back this morning, and found her bowl of food, so I can be pretty sure she will be returning and I can go from there.

T said...

Oh boy, well, I think you already know what I would have done. Gets me in trouble every time;)

Anymore news on her? Very pretty, and Stumpy seemed to like the idea of having a new friend;)

Moose said...

So this is how it all started... I always wondered!