I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Return to Dirtville


Stumpy was happy to be back in the co-pilot's seat.

Once again, I was really bad about taking pictures.

While we were in Nevada I got to meet Woof Whinny Whisper's Paula, her sister Candy and Paula's 3 beautiful dogs: (Top to bottom) Albert, Maddie and Zoom.

picture stolen from here

I'll definitely be returning for another visit because I didn't get to meet any of Paula's horses. (I'm a wimp and it was hot!)Well, I'll be returning to visit with Paula, too. She doesn't live far from my son and she's my kind of people: all about doing the right thing for the 4-leggeds! She and a couple of close friends ARE the Huppie Syndicate. They were kind enough to list Alf on their petfinder page. The organization is dedicated to improving the lives of horses that might otherwise be destroyed.

Stumpy, Alf and Fenway were happy to be reunited, but once again, no pictures. I left my camera every place that I wasn't.

It was really awesome to spend some time with my sister and her family. Dang! How fast those kids grow. Last time I saw her boys, maybe 4 years ago, they seemed to be little boys. Now the oldest towers over me and the younger boy isn't far behind.

My little sister lives in a beautiful home that over looks the Pacific Ocean. The view from her deck is amazing!

The fog was quite thick every morning and although it lifted on up top where we were it remained hazy down on the shore so a clear picture wasn't possible (at least not when I remembered my camera)
She's maybe a mile from the beach (as the crow flies) so this is the view directly below their house.


The first night in Laguna we got to watch a scary brush fire not far from my sister's house. It was not too long ago, 1993, when a brush fire devastated Laguna Beach.

It too three bushwhacking trucks, two helicopters about 3 hours to put it out.

We were quite relieved.

Stumpy met her cuzzin Buddy for the first time.

They got off to a rough start because when I threw a toy they crashed going full throttle and they got up fighting mad. They were wary of playing together for the rest of the visit but walked well together and got along fine.



Although my sister and her boys complained about the weather, I was delighted. The temperatures ranged from 60 to 75F. Perfect! I hated to leave.

It was wonderful to get out of dirtville, although the trip was bitter-sweet. It's been a bit of an adjustment being Alf-less.

Once again my trip to the east coast has been delayed. I had to buy 4 new tires while I was in Vegas and that took a large chunk of my traveling money. Better to be safe (and broke) than sorry. I'm leaving on August 19th, come hell or high water!

Because I have delayed this trip so many times, I am going to drive straight through to Massachusetts, stopping only for naps. On the return trip, however, Stumpy and I will take a more leisurely approach and hope to be stop and meet some blog friends!

15 comments:

Brenda's Arizona said...

What a fun trip, except for the tires needing replacement...
And what cool weather! Laguna in the summer = cooler!
We miss the Alf diary. Is Stumpy adjusting ok? Scritch him on the head for us!

tula monstah said...

Hey Stumpy,

Laguna looks gorgeous & a nice relief from the oven temperatures! aww your cuzzin looks like he couldn't hurt a fly:) furry cute.

wonder if we'll get a chance to meet ya! so tell your momma know more delaying your trip!

scratchies,
tula

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh what a beautiful place to visit.. Those silly kids sure have a way of growing up too quickly..
Those wildfires scare me. Some much devastation.
We sure hope you get a chance to visit Norwood while you are in MA. That would be so cool..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Brenda, I think Stumpuy is missing Alf as much as I am.

Tula, I can't believe I am not home already! I hope we get to meet. You'll be nice, won't you?

Heelers, we can't wait to visit again (and again and again!)

♥ Sallie said...

Those brush fires were scary! Gorgeous view from her house though! Sounds like you had a great trip. :)

Phyllis said...

Sounds like you had some nice visits.

You and Stumpy did good!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

That's our kind of weather too - probably the upper end of our do'able range!

As fur your D-Day, woo khould khome fur our Gotcha Day Pawties on 8/26 ;=)

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Tula nice? Snikhker.....

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! You sure had a FUN FUN trip. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Tucker said...

Where did my comment go - stupid blogger.

I had a joke but I forgots it that quickly. URgh.

welcome back

woof - Tucker

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Sallie, it was wonderful! I can't wait to do it again!

Phyllis, getting out of dirtville is something I dream about day and night.

Khyra, The 26th isn't going to work, although I would love to come. It's my dad's birthday!

Sugar, Everything about it was awesome!

Tucker, dang! I love a good joke! We've been having a helluva time with blogger, too. :(

Pat Wahler said...

Looks like you and Stumpy had a wonderful and well deserved holiday. Beautiful pictures!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

DogsMom said...

So happy you are traveling safely and having a good time. You just need to keep busy so you don't miss the big furball so much. And the 19th is not so far away. You have lots to do before then.
We have a fur cuzzin staying with us for a week, and I am embarrassed at how unsocialable the big kids here are. Too set in their ways and don't like to share. We are having major talking tos about that.
I am sure the high temps are not making them any more comfortable than they are me.

mayziegal said...

What a Most Wonderful trip and I am very much glad you are all home safe and sound! I'm glad that fire didn't get any closer. I think I woulda been skeered!

Sorry abouts Buddy and Stumpy having words. Sometimes that happens.

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

bbes tribe said...

Sounds like a great trip meeting lots of friends & family (2 & 4 legged) & a fire. Glad no one was hurt. Enjoyed the pics.
If you wanted to vote the shelter Challenge you can click on: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3 OR on our blog click on the purple button.
Thank you for offering!!!
Wags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Pat, it was wonderful and now that I have wheels that are road-worthy, I am looking forward to more!

Dogsmom,it's not easy staying busy in dirtville. I spend a lot of time dreaming of getting out!

Mayzie,The fire was VERY skeery and it was windy, too. We were so grateful it was discovered early and extinguished quickly!

bbes tribe, We'll definitely head over and vote accordingly!