I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fooling Stumpy

Last week, feral cats moved onto the property next door that had previously been inhabited by tweekers, hoarders and other freaks. Every once in a while Stumpy gets the urge to check out the kitty habitat. Once she turns the corner, when she's on a mission, there is no calling her back.

I can, however, call Alfy. Stumpy comes running because calling the Berner is synonymous with the BEST treats: hotdogs and cheese. It works every time.

a Public Service Announcement, from HSUS (of whom I am not a fan, but...)

To protect your pet on the Fourth of July, take these precautions:


•Resist the urge to take your pet to fireworks displays.

•Do not leave your pet in the car. With only hot air to breathe inside a car, your pet can suffer serious health effects—even death—in a few short minutes. Partially opened windows do not provide sufficient air, but they do provide an opportunity for your pet to be stolen.

•Keep your pets indoors at home in a sheltered, quiet area. Some animals can become destructive when frightened, so be sure that you've removed any items that your pet could destroy or that would be harmful to your pet if chewed. Leave a television or radio playing at normal volume to keep him company while you're attending Fourth of July picnics, parades, and other celebrations.

•If you know that your pet is seriously distressed by loud noises like thunder, consult with your veterinarian before July 4th for ways to help alleviate the fear and anxiety he or she will experience during fireworks displays.

•Never leave pets outside unattended, even in a fenced yard or on a chain. In their fear, pets who normally wouldn't leave the yard may escape and become lost, or become entangled in their chain, risking injury or death.

•Make sure your pets are wearing identification tags so that if they do become lost, they can be returned promptly. Animals found running at-large should be taken to the local animal shelter, where they will have the best chance of being reunited with their owners.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that little slide-stop at the end. Almost looks like the ball spooked her though.
That happens here too. Call a different name and get a quicker response from the one who was avoiding me.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Did you say Feral Cats??? I had your delish treats yesterday after breakfast as my Special Winning Treats for the Day. I mentioned it in my post today. Golden Thanks for your last vote. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Sam said...

I liked the disclaimer "of whom I am not a fan" ;)

But yeah, those guidelines are pretty darn good. No one should take this holiday lightly as a pet owner!

Anonymous said...

Um, I hopes Stumpy doesn't read this bloggie anytime soon or she's gonna figures out your trick.

Thank you for how to keeps us safe!

Happy 4th of July Holiday!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Kapitein Haakje said...

we dont celebrate the 4th of july here in belguim but we do this year :D special fur the blogfuriends :D

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Cyndi you sure have that Stumpy all figured out.. Mom gets us to come back by yelling for me Gus.. I just can't figure out why she doesn't call the Red's!!!

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Dogsmom, that was an emergency sticker removal stop! Happens all the time.

Sugar! congrats on your big win! I am glad the cookies arrived in time to be part of the celebration!

Sam, I didn't want to mislead anyone, but the guidelies seemed worth sharing. It's a scary holiday! All those nuts and fools playing with fire and explosives...

Mayzie, for my protection when I taught Stumpy to read and the alphabet I taught it to her backwards. A iz Z, Y is B. It works good except at night when she reads me my bed time story.

El'bow and Hauwii! Happy First Fourth!

Heelers, us moms are pretty smart! You guys must be great at Follow the Leader!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Even treats won't bring me bakhk -

Great video!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Khats! Nom nom ;-)

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Khyra, I'm pretty sure Stumpy would do, literally, anything; if she thought some other dog was getting a treat and she wasn't.