I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, March 28, 2009

need inspiration?


From Dog Star Daily http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs

Here’s a story that gives new meaning to the words “Train, don’t complain.” Donna Rock’s adopted dog “Annie” is the second Doberman in the nation ever to be named an AKC champion in both agility and obedience. That’s quite a feat all by itself, and an honor for any dog and trainer. But Donna, who trained Annie for nine years to achieve that level, was born with no arms.
If you watch the video (http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=343716&shu=1) you’ll see strong dog-owner communication and camaraderie. Both look to be relaxed and enjoying the training. Of course, Donna has had to be creative in her cues. She has invented her own signals, using a leg instead of an arm, to indicate sit, come, and down. A cock of the head tells Annie to circle around her and sit by her side in heel position.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!
I can't believe you don't use your wading pool.. I'm hot at 50 degrees. I can't imagine the desert heat. Well, yes I can. When it''s 5 degrees here. I really loved this video. My mom's career has been working with people with disabilities and I love her comment that she was surprised someone thought she was disabled. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Norwood

Dog_geek said...

Wow - what a great story! And she's so right - dog people are the best!

Lilly said...

What a wonderful story! Thanks for the inspiration. Needed that today!