I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.

For me they are the role model for being alive.

~ Gilda Radner

Monday, February 6, 2012

Two Very Good Reads

written by Neil Abramson

Stumpy gives this book five out of five kitties


Veterinarian, Helena Colden, has died and left her husband to care for her menagerie of rescued critters. A tortured spirit, she is unable to move past the world she loved. She fears facing the animals which she aided in death and the truth which she hid, even from herself, will be discovered by those she loved most.

A very good read! This book was compared, by many, to Racing in the Rain. It's a book that made me laugh and cry. Definitely pick up a copy!



written by Caroline Knapp
Stumpy gives this book four out of five kitties. Only because she prefers story time to actually learning something.

This book was a real eye opener for me. I even saw myself! The author relates our life experience, and her own, to the manner in which we relate to our dogs. It's an interesting concept and one I think many can and will relate to. 

I wished I had found this book earlier, when I was training dogs professionally. I think it would have really helped me to deal with some of the human behavior!

If you question or are interested to know why your dog behaves in some ways, you might find the answer in this book.

19 comments:

rottrover said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm reading Racing in the Rain now... Your description of Pack of Two is why I enjoy the Dog Whisperer shows. I know a lot of people don't like Cesar, but I find the dynamics between the humans and the dogs fascinating. Thanks for the recommendations!

bbes tribe said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan to check them out. Like the kitty rating.
wags
ernie,sasha,chica,lucas

Brenda's Arizona said...

I LOVE Pack of Two. Read it years ago. If I had only known to lend it to you then!!!

Dog Fence said...

Thanks for the recommendation.. I will check it soon. I also love Pack of Two... I barrow it with my friend and it is beautiful.

Wyatt said...

Thanks for the reviews. If 'Unsaid' is anything like 'Racing in the Rain' we are all over that!

Wyatt's mom

Sam said...

Pretty sure this is the second or third time I've heard about the Caroline Knapp book, so I guess it's time I actually pick it up and read it, while I still have the chance (before I go to PT school and get to read about all sorts of technical and boring things!)

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Lisa, I knew our behavior affects our dogs' behavior but I never realized some of the more subtle influences. You'll love "Pack of Two!"

BB's Tribe, the kitty rating is guaranteed

Brenda, I can't believe you held out on me!

Dog Fence, you won't be disappointed!

Wyatt, I'd have a hard time deciding which of the two I liked more.

Sam, You won't be disappointed!

mayziegal said...

These were two super great reviews! My mom already has a stack of books taller then me that she is trying to read. But I'm guessing she's gonna be adding to the stack pretty soon.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Phyllis said...

Hi Cyndi,

These both sound really good. I'll have to look for them and try to read at least one. I used to love to read...just don't much anymore.

How much fun it would be to meet up with a bunch of friends and their dogs. I can't think of many ways better to spend time. Love all the photos.

I'm quite frustrated with my 'puter as well. slow. slow. slow!!

Give Stumpy girl and pat on the head for me :)

An English Shepherd said...

Can you get it on kindle?

K9 Katastrophie said...

Stumpy!!!! So glad to hear from you!!!! We missed you!! We love books, thanks for sharing!

Licks,
Ruthie

ForPetsSake said...

Thanks for your suggestions - I'm always on the lookout for good stories. I've read Pack of Two and it is really good!

tula monstah said...

Hey Stumpy! woo have a great rating system-- kitties! do any books get a coo coo kitty rating?? the 2nd book makes total sense- and FAD has some barnes & nobles gift cards too!

hope all is good in dirtville!

scratchies,
tula

review said...

cool~
will be looking out for these books.

Sandra said...

I will read these, but I'm not sure I want to know why Grace is, well, Grace!

debs daze said...

Went right to the library and checked "Unsaid" out... couldn't put it down! Great book! Thanks for the recommendation!

Laura S Reading said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Nice to know what you've been up to. I can add these to my Goodreads shelves.

I also pinned them.

Wireless Dog Containment Fence said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks!

Daisy Dog said...

If you enjoyed this, you may enjoy Gail Caldwells book, "Lets take the Long Way HOme". Its about her friendship with Caoline Knapp, and their dogs. It was written after Caroline Knapp died.